There are things I say as a mom that I never thought would exit my mouth. When the words hit the air it’s like a slow-mo scene from any Wes Anderson film. The sentence is lined up just like a cast of perfectly paired misfits moving toward their wildly unreasonable goal.
My goal, in most scenarios, is to keep my boys from hurting themselves or just being decent humans.
So, in the name of raising decent humans, these are the 10 things I never thought I’d say, but did:
1. Don’t shoot your Nana! (With a water gun.)
2. No! You can’t bite your brother!
3. Don’t sit on the sofa without undies on.
4. Please keep your feet off the dinner table.
5. We don’t paint with yogurt.
6. Take that quarter out of your mouth!
7. Never put money in your mouth.
8. Don’t put your hands in the toilet.
9. Sure, you can wear your Flash Lightning shirt for the third day in a row.
10. Ohmygosh! Are you eating a cookie in Mama and Dada’s bed? No, don’t eat cookies on our bed. (Said to my 18 month old.)
These 10 are just a few of the many, and I know they will keep on keepin on.
photo by Miley Eaton